We attended the G-Unit album listening session and are hitting you with an album review like we promised.
Hardcore and for the streets is the best way to describe the new G-Unit album, Terminate On Sight (T.O.S). Once again, 50 Cent holds rank as the general while Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo are faithful G-Unit soldiers to the end. Young Buck, although not appearing on the album cover artwork, manages to shine on a few cuts.
There's no doubt that Banks and 50 hold their own in the mixtape arena. That has already been proven, but surprisingly Banks sounds hungry as ever on this album. He's a beast with an air-tight flow and metaphors for days. We've gotta give it to the lispy and lyrical Banks who did his thing on just about every verse. He really makes the album.
So, what else does T.O.S offer up other than the heavy-hitting singles, "I Like The Way She Do It" and "Rider Part 2"? Well, there's nothing soft and no finger snappin', that's for sure, but you'll still be movin' to the raw and hardcore New York raps. This album takes the gritty underground sound of the mixtape game and brings it to the surface for the mainstream.
A perfect example is the opening cut, "Straight Outta Southside," which is dedicated to Sean Bell. It's a modern day East coast take on the left coast hood-classic "Straight Outta Compton" by NWA. While it doesn't play out quite like you'd expect a memorial would, you won't be disappointed. The production by Ron Browz is so strong and energetic that this jam could start a riot. Between the hard drum beat and rhymes, this song is a serious problem!
The Binside Fave 5
1. "Close To Me" - flossy, bossy thug love for the club/car
2. "Straight Outta Southside" - raw raps, high energy straight hood banger
3. "You So Tough" - melodic, slick talking anthem
4. "Party Aint Over" - club/car
5. "Get Down" - club/car banger
We liked "Close To Me" alot. The fellas master the subject matter of chicks and whips with a touch of cockiness and finesse like true bosses on this track. This is a G-Unit all-star show where 50 Cent is hot on the hook with his melodic flow, Banks is in full effect and kills this song, and Yayo is on point. This is a hot song that we expect to be hearing a lot of.
The only guest appearance comes from Mavado who drops in for a feature on "Let It Go." Mavado brings his rude-boy chat and is refreshing on the chorus. The two styles of Rap and Dancehall blend well together. This song, produced by Don Cannon, is tough!
The formula of working with young and up-and-coming production talent has worked well for super-group in the past and they continue to run with it on this new project. While the production stands strong, it lacks a wide variety but definitely has that G-Unit mass appeal.
This is the first time that G-Unit teamed up with Swizz Beatz on "Get Down" which is one of the stand out tracks on the album. We're lovin' the hook on this song, it's really catchy. This is a club/car banger that we know folks are gonna be stuntin' hard to this summer. 50 Cent kills it with his melodic flow while Banks' verse is real strong on this song.
We can already tell that this is going to be a G-Unit summer. This album is right on time with plenty of tunes that knock. Overall, Terminate On Sight is a decent CD that continues where Beg For Mercy left off almost five years ago with more hard hitting, gangsta lyrics but nothing that's groundbreaking. For diehard 50 Cent & G-Unit fans, this album is a winner. Cop the G-Unit Terminate On Sight album when it drops on stores July 1st!
G-Unit Terminate On Site (T.O.S)
Genre: Hardcore Rap
Label: G-Unit/ Interscope/ Universal Music Group
01. Straight Outta Southside (Produced By: Ron Browz)
02. Piano Man - Feat. Young Buck (Produced By: Tha Bizness For Tha Bizness Productions
03. Close To Me (Produced By: Teraike "Chris Styles" Crawford For Dangerous, LLC)
04. Rider Part 2 - Feat. Young Buck (Produced By: Rick Rock)
05. Casualties Of War (Produced By: Ky Miller)
06. You So Tough (Produced By: Ky Miller)
07. No Days Off - Feat. Young Buck (Produced By: Dual Output For The Money Management Group)
08. T.O.S. (Produced By: Ty Fyffe For Tybu Entertainment)
09. I Like The Way She Do It - Feat. Young Buck (Produced By: Street Radio, Inc.)
10. Kitty Kat (Produced By: Hit-Boy For Zone 4 Inc.)
11. Party Ain’t Over - Feat. Young Buck (Produced By: Damien Taylor)
12. Let It Go - Feat. Mavado (Produced By: Don Cannon For B.S.T., LLC)
13. Get Down (Produced By: Swizz Beatz & The Individuals For Swizz Beatz Productions)
14. I Don’t Want To Talk About It (Produced By: Jesse Corparal Wilson & Reginald "Regg" Smith)
15. Ready Or Not (Produced By: Jake One For White Van Music/The Money Management Group)
16. Money Makes The World Go Round (Produced By: Ron Browz)